Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Extra Credit 1,2,3


xc - COTD1
Time at the cemetery
Every time I go past a cemetery, I fear the worst. I only think thoughts of sadness and pain because of the idea that I have formed of cemeteries throughout my life. I realized that I have made cemeteries the enemy because of the thought that one day, that cemetery will “take” my parents and myself. With this trip, I learned a lot about how I deal with grief as well as how quiet and peaceful cemeteries really are. Walking through the cemetery I was compelled by the organization and the cleanliness within this sanctuary. From the cemeteries that I have seen or have lived by, I notice now that each one pays homage to nature through its captivating landscapes, winding roads, and sculptures. This connection between death and nature is rarely ever heard of in this setting. As a matter of fact this is the first time I think about how cemeteries look and the significance behind it. Each movie or book that I have seen or read, has attempted to push the thought that funerals and cemeteries are bad because of the damage it causes to the decomposing body as well as the environmental hazards it poses. Interestingly enough, cemeteries have many appealing aspects that I was blind to because of the idea that I have formed of them. In many ways, the point of a cemetery is to make the family feel comfortable with death through the care of the deceased. This experience made me feel as if visiting a cemetery to see a loved one is no different than visiting a park either alone or with a loved one, both places share (or at least used to share) the philosophy of a secluded place that is within nature to let go of stress. Because of these reasons I am confused once again on what I want to be done when I have passed away.
Sadly i was not able to take photographs because the cemetary did not allow it. The cemetery i visited was the Union Fields Cemetery. This cemetery is a orthodox jewish cemetery for those who are part of the jewish religion or are of jewish descent. Im not sure if taking photographs is against the rules in this religion or if i just ran into the wrong employee on the wrong day.
xc - COTD2
Harold and Maude
This movie views death through a very comedic lens. The way death is portrayed through this movie is in a serious way but it doesn’t take itself too seriously like most books or movies, which allows it to make fun of itself in some ways. I felt that the character dynamics were great and each actor’s motive or goal was very obvious because of the ways each character interacted with his/her environment and the people around them. Each character showed different sides of the death care industry and a few changed in important ways. For me, Harold represents the side of the death care industry where people are very open to death and slightly fascinated by it but still show humbleness towards it because they know they are not immortal. Although Harold represents this for me, he is an extreme that captures the many different emotions of these people. Harold’s mother is more like the group that is indifferent towards that whole process and would rather do everything traditionally. At one point in the movie his mother states how she has grown to ignore Harold’s acts of theatricality such as repeatedly faking his own death. When I first heard this I thought it was very important because it may signify the general public’s feelings toward the business of death. Over time I think we have all learned to ignore how exaggerated some of our customs are because we find them normal or unimportant we dismiss them much like Harold’s mother ignores her son. Although the mother seemingly plays the role of the “in-between”, she brings up a lot of other interesting thoughts through her own idealism and place of within the dominant social discourses of this time period. Maude is the bright side of the death care industry, where the people who have found peace within their knowledge of their options for death reside. The main message in Maude’s personality is the same as the creed she follows, When Harold asks Maude why she acts certain ways and does certain things, she explains to him that she is acting as a general reminder to people that they may not be there tomorrow so they shouldn’t get attached to things. This belief is often shared by professionals in the death care industry who work in ways that are directed toward the families and the well-being of loved ones who have recently lost. I may be incorrect about what each of these characters represent, but I know that each of the ideas that come forth from this movie are worth taking a look at no matter what character brings it up.


xc - COTD3
Bodies Exhibit
1 or 2 years ago I visited the Bodies exhibit with my grandmother. I remember this experience very well because it had a large effect on me and I find it really interesting how I was not aware that this exhibit was made from preserved human bodies. Now that I am aware of this crucial piece of information, I see the exhibit in a new, more gruesome light that makes me wonder if donating your body to science is really a smart idea if people are being exposed in this way for tons of people to see. I understand the educational value as well as the “coolness factor” of seeing the inside of real human bodies, but I feel like it isn’t very different from the victims of war who are displayed to teach a lesson to others. I know it’s a bit of a far-fetched comparison but each one does the same thing, just for different reasons. When I first entered the exhibit I remember thinking how boring it would be because I was going to be learning, shortly after I found myself emerged in this incredible world that is inside my body! I remember being so psyched about what I learned that I made my grandmother buy me a life-size model of a human skull with hinged jaws. Seeing something like this exhibit is extraordinary because it gives you a sense of reality and it shows what complicated creatures we are. The only negative aspect of this exhibit is what I mentioned before, and I believe that the educational value of this exhibit would not decrease if the models were replicas of the human body and not actual bodies.


No comments:

Post a Comment