Sunday, May 8, 2011

HW#52


For the last third of grave matters, as I drew closer to the greenest of all options I began to focus more on the details of the personal effects of that these options have on the family. Backyard Burial (chapter 8) is a very pleasant and succinct throughout its description of burying the body of a family member in one’s own property such a family vacation spot or backyard. The natural cemetery (chapter 9) describes the form of burial in which the body is placed in the most simple and ecofriendly coffin without the use of chemicals, to ensure that the body goes through its natural decomposition cycle without posing a threat to the environment it is placed in.
v  “But her memory is there, my memory for her is there, and that is the last place we saw each other. For me, it's a comfort to have her close by"
v  "The casket is simply a vessel for another vessel that we're done with. There's no reason to get carried away"
Resembling the other books we have read in the “NiW” course I have gained a lot of new insight from grave matters. Although other books we have read affected the way I looked at each topic this book has changed the way I think about the care of the dead exceptionally. After reading this book and actually realizing and accepting that multi-billion dollar industries only want more money(even though we have been talking about that the whole time)I took the initiative to research the topic more and talk with some loved ones to get an idea of how they felt about the care if the dead and their preferences. Although it may sound odd I also spoke to my parents and proposed some ideas that I felt they might like. Despite it being a sour topic we were all relived to know that there was a sort of plan in case of any death occurring in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment